Monday, February 04, 2008

pililup (or "Pete Can Read!")

Pete and Wade went for a hike on Saturday and then sat down to rest and eat their pb&j's on a bench. The bench had a plaque that was dedicated to someone named Phillip. Peter proceeded to sound out the name, making each sound:

"p," "h," "i," "l," "l," "i," "p,"
"Pililup."
(Looking at Wade)
"Pililup!? That's the funniest name I've ever heard!"
(followed by a characteristic Pete cackle)

I agree that Pililup is a funny name, but I am happy that Pete can sound out words! We've been working together since then with some flash cards and he continues to amaze me. I forgot to get the cards out tonight and Pete called me back into his room after we put him to bed,

"What is it Pete?" I asked (a little annoyed).
"We forgot to read the words!" He said.
(He had the flashcards on his bed waiting for me)

9 comments:

  1. Wow! That's impressive! I am feeling like a bad mom now though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always amazed at my 3 yr old who can read. He seriously taught himself at barely age 2. Now at almost 4 he still blows me away constantly! Way to go Pete for learning to read! Such a big boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute story! I think that all of your hours preparing preschool lessons have really paid off. I'm so impressed with how much effort you put into it! Way to go you awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for Pete! That is so cute how he sounded each letter out - what a smartie! Here's a website that I've found fun activities on to help Brook read - you've probably already been on there, but if not, it's worth checkin' out! http://www.abcteach.com/directory/childhood/reading/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so incredible! Go Pete! What are smart (and self-motivated) little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just learning to read kidding glad you found me Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:00 PM

    That is so cute! Another mile marker to show what a great parental unit he has to inform him! You are both wonderful!! I love the flash card idea. That is wonderful! Keep the ideas coming ... I am writting them down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha! Philip is my husband's middle name! That made me laugh. He's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That reminds me of Phillip in my class my second year teaching, when you had the baby, he was one crazy kid...He would say, I am like a snowball hitting you in the face, when we were doing similes and metaphors.

    ReplyDelete