If you've ever seen a 3 year-old give a talk you'll know that they are prone to several talk-giving faux pas, namely:
1. Yelling into the microphone and no one can understand you.
2. Whispering and no one can hear you (often a result of the fact that the adult is whispering in the ear and encouraging the child to repeat EXACTLY what they say).
3. Looking down and/or becoming shy of the spotlight and unable to finish the talk. Usually the adult finishes it for the child.
4. "Eating" the microphone while speaking and no one can understand you (this one in particular seems to be an urge that no 3-year-old can resist!).
5. A mix between yelling and "eating" that causes a lot of confusion among the adults and gets us trying really hard NOT to laugh hysterically (because it would be so very traumatizing for a 3-year-old to be laughed at while giving a talk!).
On Sunday morning he was so excited to give his talk. When he got to primary, he sat in his seat holding his church bag and looked so cute. When they called his name to give the talk, he looked at me and went right up! And, long story short, Pete did great! He did not yell (very much), he never looked down, only whispered once (how can you blame him, when I'm whispering in his ear!), and he resisted that oh-so-tasty-looking microphone! He spoke so clearly and seemed to be enjoying the spotlight. We only encountered two hiccups during the talk. When I whispered the line, "Nephi obeyed his father, Lehi, by leaving Jersualem.." Pete looked at me and said, "I don't know that word." The other was when he was distracted by the pictures of some children that were left on the podium. He turned to me and asked "Hey, where's my picture?" I quickly re-focused his attention and repeated what his next line was.
Way to go Pete! And here's the talk as I whispered it to him and he repeated into the microphone: (I held up the pictures as he said the words.)
Book of Mormon Stories teach me how to live the gospel.
Nephi obeyed his father, Lehi, by leaving
Samuel the Lamanite told the Nephites to repent.

Jesus came to visit the people of Nephi. He healed their sick and blessed their children. Jesus taught us to help those in need and to serve others.Heavenly Father saved the Book of Mormon for us so that we could learn about Him, and Jesus Christ, and how to return to Them. We can learn how to live the gospel by listening to the stories in the Book of Mormon.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.



How sweet! I can see him saying it too .. Hey - where is my picture I mean! I bet you got a giggle starting just reliving the moment! I am so proud of him too .. but not suprised with such great leaders to follow after as you and Wade. :)
ReplyDeleteMaybe you could hire him out. I mean, it sounds like he gives better talks than I do!
ReplyDeleteAhhh I wish I could of seen it. I forget that Sunbeams give talks too! Would you mind writing Brody's when its his turn :) It sounds like you're a pro!
ReplyDeletethat is so very cute! Good job Pete!
ReplyDeletecute I really wosh that I can get a calling in the primary. The kids are so cute and the spirit is strong. I do like the YW too. hey Donny went to Dental School with Matt and we became friends small world.
ReplyDeletethat is so cool. I wish I could have seen that. I love it when the sunbeams give talks. They are so sweet (and entertaining too).
ReplyDelete