Friday, February 22, 2008

flashback friday, twins part III

Click here to read twins, part I
Click here to read twins, part II

We had been waiting to tell everyone that we were expecting, but in light of this new development, we decided that now was the time. Everyone was shocked and some people were sympathetic. Although people were excited, there was also the tone of, "Oh, wow! This is gonna be hard for you guys." We called our parents and told them on the phone that day. They all shared our joy/shock/concern (but mostly joy, I think).

The weeks and months that followed were a blur. I remember lying in bed at night thinking, "Is this really happening to me? Am I just imagining this?" When I was wide awake, I knew that it was real, but still couldn't believe it. We read everything we could about twins on the internet and learned a lot about twinning. We learned that fraternal is more common than identical and that the most common type is boy/girl fraternal. We figured that our odds were probably boy/girl fraternal twins. Then we had our ultrasound a week or so later and found out that they were identical, since there was only one placenta. So, then we figured they were girls, since girl/girl identical twins are more common than boy/boy (wrong again!). We also learned about how genetics play into twinning. Fraternal twinning can be genetic since it occurs when a woman's body produces two eggs. Although, sometimes fraternal twinning is affected by a woman's age or fertility drugs. Identical twinning occurs when a woman produces one egg that splits shortly after fertilization. It is not genetic, and, in fact, there are no factors that contribute to identical twinning. Identical twinning seems to happen across the board in equal cases to women of all ages, races, and circumstances. Totally random. We were struck by lightning.

I was prepared for a miscarriage the day I went into the doctor's office, and instead, I got twins. Two healthy babies. I was worried and anxious about everything that might go wrong during a multiple pregnancy, but as promised, they did keep an eye on me and the babies. There were lots of ultrasounds, and NST's (2-3 appointments a week by the end), and even some bed rest the last few weeks. I ate more than one human being should be allowed to eat. I read books about how to "grow" big, healthy twins (by eating a lot, they said! Check & check!). I gained about 60 pounds. I grew extremely uncomfortable and had contractions like crazy during the last few months of the pregnancy. When I got to about 34 weeks, I checked into labor and delivery twice when I was having a few too many/too frequent contractions, but was sent home with medication to relax the uterus, and put on moderate bed rest.

On February 10, I was exactly 36 weeks (considered full-term for twins). I woke up around 5 am and had that funny not-so-good feeling and I just knew it wouldn't be long. Sure enough, within an hour I was ready for the drugs, so we arranged for our neighbor to watch Pete and then went to the hospital. It all went so amazingly smooth. I progressed without incident and was ever so grateful to get that epidural! At 12:57 that afternoon, the babies were born without c-section only four minutes apart. As soon as they were delivered, I felt comfortable again (It was so instant and dramatic I remember- like I just had two large babies removed from my abdomen!). They were healthy at 5lbs. 8 oz. each. It was my normal, uneventful, delivery after all, and I couldn't believe how easy it was! I feel so blessed that everything worked out the way it did. The hard part was bringing them home two days later! Thank goodness for our amazing family, friends, and neighbors. They all took great care of me and our family.

I remember the first time they slept in their cribs and woke up in the morning making those happy baby noises. I thought, "Wow, how lucky am I! I get to wake up in the morning to not one adorable, cute, happy baby, but two!" How did I get so lucky?

8 comments:

  1. It makes me so happy to read about how much joy those little rascals give you. I admire your ability to adapt and learn how to care for them so well. You say that you are lucky, and I say that they are lucky to have you as a mommy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:36 AM

    Yay for the twins! I'm a little sad for you that they had to stay in your belly uncomfortably that long, but I think they're worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! We finally get to hear the end of the story! What a huge contrast to your experience with Peter. I'm so glad that it happened that way. Heavenly Father must have known that with a toddler already and twins on the way you needed a break. They are such cute little guys and I think my Kaylee wants to steal them from you. She's in love with them! Thanks for sharing a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting, thanks for sharing. I have learned some things I didn't know about twins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I think you are incredible for growing those babies!! I just can't imagine being prego w/ two at the same time, all that weight to carry--but the eating for 3 part would be fun--hee hee! Could you tell them apart right out of the womb or did you have to paint a toenail? Thanks for writing it all down--it's been fun to tune in every Friday! You are one great mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your perspective. You were meant to be jack and Ben's mommy! I love you sis and since i can't always be there through your whole life, it's nice to read your thoughts and feelings with a little added humor and hindsight. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are the cutest, happiest babies! It was really neat to hear the end of the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a great story! Twins (and their moms...) are so amazing. :) My mom and aunt are identical twins and it's cool to see how similar they can be. It will be so fun to watch Jack and Ben grow!

    ReplyDelete