Friday, January 11, 2008

flashback friday- a little bit of our story

Okay- so I'm copying my sister Corrine and my step-sister Nancy . If I can stick to it, you'll see a nostalgic post every Friday, if not, then this is it! I was also tagged by Becky to do this- so 2 birds, 1 long and boring stone! Read on if you dare:

About Wade and I:
  • How long have you been together? About 8 years. We met for the first time in June of 1999 and started dating soon after. We were engaged Nov. 1999 and then married April 21, 2000!
  • How long did you date? About 9 months-ish.
  • How old is he? 31 (2.5 years older than me!)
  • Who eats more? Really, I think it's a tie-although I snack more!
  • Who said I love you first? He did, but I was so ready to and waiting for him to say it before I did. I still remember where we were- 7 Peaks Golf Course on one of our frequent walks to find solitude from our singles ward apartment building in Provo (Centennial Apts anyone?).
  • Who is taller? He is, but not by much, about an inch
  • Who sings better? We're pretty equal- We sing church hymns, but I don't think either of us really consider ourselves singers (I do love the little ditty's he makes up to serenade me when we're goofing around at home).
  • Who is smarter? Do you even have to ask! He pretty much takes the cake in all areas except for spelling and writing/composition stuff. I pride myself on being an excellent speller/editor.
  • Who does the laundry? I do since I'm home way more than he is. Also, I think I'm a control freak about it, so just back away from the washer! Seriously, he did all the laundry when I was on bed rest with the twins and I know he is still willing to help out.
  • Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? I do, but it changes whenever we move the position of the bed. (He likes to be furthest from the door- don't ask me why???)
  • Who pays the bills? I do all the finances and spend all his hard-earned money!
  • Who mows the lawn? Lawn?
  • Who cooks dinner? Mostly I do but Wade excels in this area! He is a very good cook and usually helps out on the weekends. He likes to try new and different recipes.
  • Who drives when you are together? Usually Wade, which I prefer. (I prefer to do the bossing rather than be bossed!)
  • Who is more stubborn? Wade (sorry honey!)
  • Who kissed who first? Wade had a very strict rule about never kissing a girl first. But I held out and was the first ever to make him break his rule (so he tells me)!
  • Who asked who out? Funny story, he called me to ask me out on a date, but during the phone conversation, before he could ask me, I invited him out! So does that count as a tie?
  • Who proposed? He did
  • Who is more sensitive? I am.
  • Who has more friends? I think I do here in Tennessee. I have mom friends, but working 12 hour+ days, he doesn't really have time to hang out with people.
  • Who has more siblings? I do - I have 3 brothers and 1 sister, he is the youngest of only 3.
  • Who wears the pants in the family? It's pretty even (Is there any other answer?)
I dated a few guys over the years, but eventually I would just stop calling them or they'd stop calling me. I just lost interest after a while. But it was different with Wade. He was the first guy that I never lost interest in. He piqued my interest: A good-looking guy, talented athlete on the BYU soccer team, a "smart" guy who was studying chemistry and dedicated to education and serious about pursuing a higher degree, a harder worker holding down a job while studying full-time, a guy who was confident and had plenty of dates, but who was nice, even to the girls that weren't so good-looking, and he was interested in ME! He still has my attention, although I'm not so good at showing him. I don't know how I ended up with such a great guy, who I've grown to know much better over the last 8 years. I love what I see in him even more as a husband, father, and provider for our family.

Here's a fun photo of us during the "early years." Sorry, no dating photos- that was pre-digital camera and we haven't scanned any into the computer! April 2001- Cristi's BYU graduation
Wade was 24 years old and I was 21 (1 month shy of 22, yes so young) in this photo. Newlyweds, we had been married for 1 year almost exactly when this photo was taken.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:14 PM

    I didn't know Wade was on the soccer team. That's cool! Missed you at play group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHHH!!!! So many GREAT memories. I'm glad you posted about this. What a great time of our lives. Memories are just flooding my mind right now. I'm so happy things worked out the way they did for you guys...3 beautiful little boys and an amazing couple! I'm so grateful for our friendship and hope we get to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute. Love it! I loved seeing a picture of your younger years, although I really don't think either of you look much older now. What's your secret??!! Seth and I have been together for 4 years and I think we both look older.....probably cuz we've both gained weight. Oh well, we're happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, time has flown. That is neat to hear about that. I was still in the kid crowd when you two got married, so I don't think I ever really got the details about you guys dating etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhhh! So cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! You guys are adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. dude!!! I didn't realize how young you guys were when you got married! I remember meeting wade for the first time at Family reunion at McGee creek (the infamous family photo-op) good times! I thought he was hilarious and he seemd to make you shine!! I miss you! Maybe we could talk to the president about moving the whole state of tennesee closer to California...thoughts on this???

    ReplyDelete
  8. mrs. smith- I'll draft the letter and you can edit (or maybe I should do the editing)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO good to read all that. I love Friday flashbacks! Get wade to set up your aim account- NOW! Love ya! you laundry nazi! (me too) Brandon messes things up most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the info! And, good memories are coming back from Burke and I and those early years. What a great picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Consider it done...I'll let you do the editing so we stay friends... :) I don't want to end up in the Wade doing Laundry catagory! Just kidding! I am ridiculously OCD with the dishes...

    ReplyDelete