I'm writing this very small, because I'm embarrassed at how stupid these questions really are:
1. Does anyone know if there is a way to subscribe to a blog that is "invite only" through Google Reader?
2. Also, if you are one of these "invite only" blogs- is there a reason for doing this?
3. Thirdly, does everyone out there know that you can subscribe to Google Reader and it will make keeping up with blogs SOO much easier?
4. Next, is Google just about the coolest invention ever (at least since the internet anyway)? Not only did they give us blogs, but gmail, google reader, picassa web albums (the easiest online photo hosting spot), Google analytics (to track all the crazies coming to your blog, exactly which crazy sent them here, how long they stayed, and what pages they looked at), and a pretty good little search engine (I like google images and map myself) to name a few (I know there's way more, but those are my favorites at the moment). Plus it's all FREE!
5. Does anyone know if there is a catch to all this really, really cool, free Google stuff? (Please, don't tell me if there is!)
No, you can't subscribe to private blogs. Google is the awsomeist. Except, I prefer yahoo mail over gmail-I can keep everything organized better.
ReplyDeleteThere's no catch that I know of.
Yeah, it's a little harder to keep up with private blogs because you can't subscribe. The people that I know that do private blog do it for privacy issues. Don't want just anyone to get their information.
ReplyDeleteGoogle Reader awesome! You should download Google Earth. It's a really cool program, too.
The only catch to it all is that Google is trying for world domination and you have just become a stepping stone! Just kidding :)
becca- that's exactly what I was afraid of! :O
ReplyDeleteHow do you sign up for Google analytics? Because I worry about those crazies! My sister is a self-proclaimed Blog stalker. She is innocent, but there are some people who aren't and I worry about them looking at my blog from a link on someone elses blog. I'm a little paranoid. I'm stopping myself for making it an "invite only" blog.
ReplyDeleteSo tell me how to sign up for it please!
amber- I'm pretty sure you automatically get google analytics if you have a blog and/or google account. You should be able to click on it from the drop down menu at the top of the screen when you're in google reader or just "google" "google analytics." Then you can start tracking everything and see who's coming to your site. I would also suggest playing with the settings on your blog. In the settings menu where it says "Add your blog to our listings?" I put No. So when people are browsing through blogger, they shouldn't be able to just run across yours. And the next question asks "Let search engines find your blog?" and I also put No. That speaks for itself, search engines can't crawl your site. Hopefully this way no one can just happen upon your blog unless they know you or someone who knows you. It's not foolproof I'm sure, but much better than making a private blog in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteHi - Yeah I switched to a private blog, but then recently switched back because some of our closest family and friends didn't have gmail addresses and couldn't get to it. We've never had any nasty comments on our blog, but have a friend who did. I restricted some of the settings and will probably go back to a private blog if we have any problems at all.
ReplyDeleteBecky- That's good to know. I wonder how often that happens to people (the nasty comment thing)? I wonder if there's any way to make the blog a little more private, without making it private?! Anyone?!
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid that I'm gonna have to stick to the invite only blog because I am way too paranoid. It's too easy to get onto anyone's blog through other people's links. I don't know if a crazy person would really be interested in us but I'm not willing to risk it. I figure if people want to see our family bad enough they'll sign up for the account. Besides, then they'll see how great Google is!
ReplyDeleteSo, I guess my real question is: have people actually had problems with random people visiting and/or commenting on their blogs? Should I also be paranoid?
ReplyDeleteI'm another paranoid person, so I wouldn't have it any other way for me. I just don't like the idea of people looking at my kids that I don't know. I'm a new blogger, but I've never really heard of any horror stories (just one and they didn't know if it was folklore or not). It is a pain, and some people who aren't computer saavy can't figure out how to sign up for a google account..but oh well.
ReplyDeleteStupid question from me-What is google reader? I use yahoo and only have a google account for the blog, but never use it.
Hmm. I am a huge Google fan too, but I don't know about Google reader either. I started out with a private blog and then I was frustrated because I wanted to give it out to people, but then I'd have to add them to my list of invited folks etc. My parents set up a Google account because they are supportive, but then they couldn't remember the password, so they still couldn't see the blog. Ugh. I did change my settings quite a bit since then and made it an open blog.
ReplyDeleteWell, thanks for all the input. I've concluded that Google is still my friend (even though I can't subscribe to private blogs through reader). And if you haven't checked out Google Reader, than I highly suggest it (especially if you read a lot of blogs).
ReplyDeleteI decided to do a private blog because my brother-in-law is a computer guru and he told me some stuff that made me nervous. I then couldn't sleep the next night. If it was just me and Seth I wouldn't worry as much, but since I have Adrie, and other people's children on there also, I just don't want to risk it. I haven't heard of anything nasty happening, but I would hate to be the first. Before I made my blog private I decided to make it unsearchable, like you mentioned, but I tried it out and I was still able to find it. I even edited my blog to take out last names, and when I searched my last name it still found my original posts which had my last name and included my blog address. One of my friends is concerned also and she doesn't want to go private so she edited her blog to take out any identifying info (last names, cities, etc.) and then changed her blog address to not include her last name. She also contacted anyone with a link to her blog to only list her first name rather than her last. Seems like a lot of work, but if you don't want to go private, it's probably the best approach I've seen.
ReplyDeleteI'd also prefer not to go private, all I know is I've been sleeping better a night ever since I did. So I guess it's a personal thing. Good questions! I learned a lot from your post. :)
Jenny- great ideas! Thanks for your input. I also try not to put a lot of personal details on my blog, but our last name is on the front page and in our url! That could be something to look into (I've also tried googling different things like our names, etc, and have never been able to find anything to link to our site). Anyway, those are good ideas to do if you don't actually want to go private!
ReplyDeleteGoggle or Gmail is way better than Yahoo (IMAP)!!!
ReplyDeleteSo I was reading a technology blog the other day and wanted to post a thank you to the guy and it told me that the post would appear after the blog owner reviewed it! I thought that would help if people post stupid stuff- I mean you would ultimately read it but could choose if it shows up on your blog!
There is a better way, but it is not free! 100 dollars a year it is called a .MAC account. they have this little known feature that is advertised as being used to keep in touch with teams and groups. I was thinking that you could just set up a blog and pictures, whatever you want, and it requires a password and that is assigned by the host, and can be changed periodically. How safe is that, I want to do it but I don't even have a working blog. Anyway, Google rocks and they should make an opt out feature on Google - like the ability to say that you don't want your name or info to be displayed ever in a search (not just the blog-spot) - like a whole legal thing.
LOVE.GOOGLE.READER!!!! It has changed my life. I just got onto Google calendar too. Now Ryan and I can always know what each other's schedules are. (You can invite other's to share your calendar.)
ReplyDeleteAs for the privacy issues...sometimes I wonder if I should be more worried. But, I never post my last name or anything too specific about myself or my family. I don't write my exact city name or address. I think if you are careful, then happy blogging to all:)