We had parent teacher conferences a couple weeks ago and I got the chance to chat with the boys teachers' about how things are going. Mostly good, but I have a few observations that I wanted to document. First, I think it has been a good decision to keep Jack and Ben in different classes. They are right next door to each other and share lunch, specials, and recess time (all Kindergarten classes do). So, for them, it's been great to have their own class and separate time each day. I'm also glad that we did all day Kindergarten. They have done so well and are really enjoying school. They are learning so much and taking it all in. They have both already improved so much in reading and writing and love to share the things they learn at school with us at home.
You know when people put their two fingers up (pointer and middle finger, like the peace sign), but they use those two fingers to point at their own eyes and then use them to point at another person. You know how it is a way of saying "I've got my eye on you!," without using any words. Usually as a joke.
Well, we do that with the boys at home, as a joke, and they do it back to us too. It's pretty funny when a five-year-old looks at you and then silently points his two fingers at his own eyes and then at you repeatedly with a very serious looking face, trying hard not to crack a smile.
Apparently, Jack has been using this tactic on some of his Kindergarten peers. His teacher says that when there are kids acting up or misbehaving, he'll sometimes give them the "I've got my eye on you," sign. Ha, that's my boy! Also, one boy in his class misinterpreted it, and ended up literally poking Jack in his eye. Apparently after he felt threatened by Jack's use of this hand gesture.
Jack and Ben have been learning about patterns in Kindergarten. There is an A, B pattern (where it repeats every other object), and there is an A, A, B pattern or an A, B, B pattern, etc. We've haven't talked about it at home really, but they seem to be picking it up quite well. Today, Ben and Jack were fighting when I asked them to get ready for soccer practice. As they came out of their room, Ben in tears and Jack with a cut on his nose, each one insisted that the other one hit him. You know the routine, "He hit me," "No, he hit ME!" etc., etc. I mostly let it go and told them that if they insist on fighting each other, then they can probably expect to get hurt. Later tonight, I was having a discussion with Ben about it. I told him that I didn't like it when he fights with his brother because I love them and don't want them to hurt each other or get hurt (something I've said about ten bajillion times). During this conversation, Ben found it necessary to repeat the events of the fight earlier in the evening. "First, I hit Jack, then he hurt me, and then I hurt him. Hey, it was an A, B pattern mommy! Ben, Jack, Ben..." Well, thank you for pointing that out!
No comments:
Post a Comment