Wednesday, April 28, 2010

mischief managed, part VII

I let the boys out the front door at a friends home after our meeting and pushed "unlock" on the keys while I hovered in the doorway chatting. Jack and Ben proceeded to open the car door, climb in, and "play" in the car. A couple of minutes later, I walked over and began trying to coerce them into their seats. It's like pulling teeth these days. They'd rather sit in the front seat, steal my sunglasses, or run circles in the back of the van (there is plenty of room for it). I set my keys down in the driver's seat and started to wrestle the boys into their seats. With Jack finally buckled in, I settled for Ben in the back row in Pete's booster seat with the seat belt shoulder strap through the lowest loop. It fit him comfortably enough, so I backed out of the van and closed the sliding door. I went to open the driver door, but found it was locked! The sliding door I just closed was also locked, and a quick glance around the car confirmed that all the doors were locked, with my keys sitting conveniently on the driver's seat. I hadn't noticed that Jack and Ben had pushed the lock button on the door during their "play" time in the car before I even put them into their seats. The high's today were in the the mid-sixties and the car was in full sunlight.

Then came the fun part. Jack was buckled securely in his five-point harness car seat and could not get out. Ben, on the other hand, easily escaped Pete's booster seat/seat belt combo in the back (so much for that idea) and was up in the driver's seat fairly quickly. This was good luck! So I thought. Surely Ben could simply push the unlock button on the door, or the keys, or pull the lock up on the door, or just open the door from the inside (since they have no trouble opening it from the outside). That turned out to be easier said than done.

I spent the next 10 minutes trying to convince Ben to open the door. I asked him nicely, pleaded with him, begged him, signaled to him, gave him specific directions over and over. He went back and forth to the driver's and then the front passenger seat playing and I continued trying to persuade him to do something that would unlock the door. Ben, in turn, smiled, waved, laughed, and seemed otherwise oblivious to the fact that I was extremely frustrated. He gave the minimum effort to try to do what I asked, and then found something to play with. This continued for a while, until he picked up the keys from the driver's seat and put them in the ignition. He turned the keys just enough to start the electronics in the car. He found a case of DVD's in the console and, after dumping several on the floor of the car, chose "Elmo's Sing Along." He put the movie in, and opened the drop-down screen on the ceiling of the car. All the while, I'm still trying to get his attention and convince him to unlock the door. He would pause, make an unproductive effort to push on the lock (even though I continually said "pull!"), smile, and wave, then go back to watching the movie. By this time, the movie was playing and the sound was on full-blast so that I doubt he could hear anything I was now yelling at him. Jack was contentedly watching Elmo, oblivious to any trouble. I was growing extremely frustrated.

Ben seemed to taunt me by coming back to one of the doors and looking at me as if he wanted to help, but was completely clueless about what to do. I yelled loudly, "Pull the button up, please!," "Open the door, Ben! Pull the lever right here!," "Please push the unlock button here!," "Mommy can't get in, you have to open the door, please pull up on the lock!" Over, and over, and over.

About 15 minutes in, I gave up on Ben and decided it was time to call Pop-A-Lock to come open the door. My friend called and they told her it would be about 15-20 minutes before they would be there. I was extremely frustrated that my luck with Ben was rather pointless and was also worried about the heat in the car. I did not want to wait another 15-20 minutes. I noticed that the driver door was not completely latched, and thought it would be worth a try to use the old "coat hanger in the door to pull the lock up" trick. Because of the small space in the door, it worked like a charm. I got in the car, buckled Ben in his seat, turned off the movie and was on my way. But not without a great deal of frustration!

Lessons learned: Three-year-olds don't know how to unlock the car. Teach the boys how to unlock the car door from the inside. Never let the boys play in the car. Never put the keys down in the vehicle. Keep the keys in my pocket at all times.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I was laughing the whole time I read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that is the funniest story ever! I was laughing too! Thanks for the laugh (and I'm glad it all turned out okay!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny because it can (and often has) happened to many of us. I've tossed my keys in the front and not realized that the lock button got pressed and I've now locked my kid strapped into the car. Luckily it wasn't too hot and my mom helped bring my extra car keys in less than 30 min. Sounds like a crazy day, glad you managed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your boys are too smart. Ben actually stuck the keys in the ignition, turned it to the point where the dvd player was operable, loaded a movie in, and sat back to watch? Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, Boys, so do they ever listen?
    Story #1)
    My parents went to a furniture store to purchase dining set....before I was born 1956.. the parking lot was in front of the furniture store like it is in some many of them, well back then it was not a problem if you left your kids in the car, 3 boys ages 3,5 and 7 one of them asleep......Mom and Dad were talking to the sales man, as they had been there before and were just going to pick up the set.......all of a sudden you hear a different sales man scream "There's a Car Crashing in the front window, no one is driving it!" well, there was someone driving it, you just could not see him because he was so little!! You got it!!! My brother Doug had put the keys in the ignition and started the car, took it out of park and the street had just enough incline to let the car roll thru the plate glass showroom window! How would you like that one!! needless to say my parents purchased the dining room set and left the store forever! so, Cristiana it could be worse!! Love ya MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. #2) This was 3 years ago in the winter in Fallon. I had gone to the Perazzo Dairy to pick up the live Nativity Set for the live Nativity we do at the church the weekend prior to Christmas. It was snowy and cold outside. I had to go to the milking barn to get some help as the set was made out of wood and was too heavy for me to carry and load by myself. My sweet dog Calie, a sweet cocker spaniel is a very excitalbe creature...it was so cold I wanted to keep the heater on while I jumped out and let them know I was out there......the thought went thru my head, make sure you crack the window in case Calie locks the door.....pay attention to those thoughts.....I did not and when the guys came out to help, she jumped on the lock button and locked the door from the inside.....she was all excited.....so, what to do, I told one of the boys to go to the other side and tap on the window to get her to jump up and unlock the door...while we were freezing, but Calie was warm....she wagged her tail and was all excited....it did not work....so then I called her over and over, ran back and forth from driver side to passenger side again and again, finally I got her to the corner and she jumped on the unlock, I learned my lesson, now I always crack the window if I open the door for any reason........any reason......and it has saved me more than once since......so between kids and dogs......we learn something everyday....for sure.....crack the window, keep the keys in your pocket and THEY LOVE TO TORMENT US ALL IN THE NAME OF PLAYING! love ya Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! That must have been extremely frustrating and a little scary. That happened to Braden once and he was in a 5-point harness, so we were out of luck at him being able to do anything. We ended up calling the fire department. As you would imagine, in AZ kids getting locked in is taken very seriously. They were ready to use the jaws of life on our car, but luckily one of the firefighters was able to get in using a less destructive method. I'm glad to hear nothing worse happened

    ReplyDelete