Tuesday, February 09, 2010

i went in

Have you ever thought about what you would do if your child was in trouble? Maybe I'm crazy, but I day dream about how I'd save my children if they needed help. Particularly, how I'd hunt down and save them if they were kidnapped, or how I'd jump into the water and save them if they were drowning. It's weird I guess.

Today Peter, Jack, and Ben all had their first swimming lesson together at the YMCA. Well, Peter has had swimming lessons before, but it was a first for Jack and Ben. I arrived late and introduced the boys to the teachers who were already in a full swing swimming lesson with the other 8 children that had arrived on time.

Since Pete has been before, I know the drill at the YMCA swimming lessons. There were 2 teachers for the 11 students. The teachers have all the kids sit on the ledge of the pool with their feet in the water. Then they each take the kids one by one and "swim" with them by holding them under the arms. Today, the kids were supposed to kick their legs swimming on their front and then their back in turn.

After one of Ben's "turns" his teacher set him back on the step of the pool so that he could climb up and sit on the ledge to wait his turn again. Then the teacher turned to face the rest of the children sitting on the ledge waiting. He did not see that Ben didn't go up the steps, but somehow went down. I don't know if he lost his balance in the water (it was about a foot deep at the shallowest step) or if he was trying to go down to the lower step, but in any case, he was now past all the steps and completely underwater unable to swim or touch the bottom. No big deal. I was watching the whole time and saw that the teacher was within arms reach of Ben. I was alarmed, but watched, waiting for the teacher to see him and grab him up. 1, 2, 3 seconds past and the teacher was still not aware that one of his students was underwater. He was talking to the group on the ledge. Ben was just off to the left and slightly behind the teacher. I stood up and started closing the 20-30 yards between where I sat and the area where they were in the pool. At the same time that I began moving, other parents started shouting at the teacher, trying to get his attention. 4, 5, 6 seconds past and I am standing on the ledge by the class looking down at the teacher and my underwater Ben an arms length from him. He looks up at me and another YMCA worker who are standing there. He still doesn't know what is going on. The indoor pool echoes and it is difficult to hear anything, even when you are inches from the person you are speaking to. 7, 8 seconds and I am there, as close as I can get to Ben without actually going into the water, waiting for the teacher to understand why we are all standing so near and shouting. As I was standing there looking at him and watching my child, I made a decision without thinking at all. I went in to the water, picked up my son, and pulled him out of the pool. I gave him a hug and held him for a while.

Ben was perfectly fine. He hadn't sucked in any water, and was not visibly frightened. In fact, he only let me hold him for about 30 seconds and then signaled that he wanted to go back to the swimming lesson. He would not have drowned in 10 seconds under water, but my instincts took over and I over-reacted. I was left standing against the wall, water up to my thighs dripping down from my jeans into my shoes. I felt like an idiot. Why didn't I just yell at the teacher again to reach out and grab Ben? Why did I go in the water?

I stood there for another 10 minutes until the lesson was over, then I took the boys into the locker room to get them all dressed. The YMCA worker who witnessed it all offered me some lifeguard shorts to change in to. I put them on and then covered up with a towel. We four walked outside into the 21 degree night and moved quickly to the car.

The fact is that Ben would not have drowned. The teacher would have seen him and picked him up. He was not really in any danger. Under the circumstances, I acted a little crazy, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd do the exact same thing. I would jump off a waterfall into a raging river to save my boys. I'd also offer up my pride and go fully clothed into the YMCA swimming pool.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a heroic story. I completely understand where you are coming from. It's scary to see your child helpless (a similar thing happened to Mya a few summers ago. I was in the pool, in my swimsuit though, and had to run 10 yards or so to "save" her. It kind of felt like Baywatch, but it was REALLY scary.)

    As for running through scenarios of saving my children, I do that too. I hate it, but I think about how I would get them all out of the car if the car was to become submerged in water. It freaks me out because I don't think I could save them all. None of my kids are comfortable in the water and half of them are completely strapped in...yikes. I imagine myself trying, though.

    Good luck with the next lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://stakerzxposed.blogspot.com/2010_02_01_archive.html This is why you jumped in. Good mom. If you haven't already read the story of this family over the last week... Don't regret jumping in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So your story completely reduced me to tears. What we won't do for our little ones, huh? I'm so glad Ben was o.k., and that he has a good mommy who was paying attention instead of chatting it up with the other parents like I usually do. You taught me a great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mothering instincts took over Cristi, that's all. I'm sure many of the other parents would have done the same thing if it was their child. I know I would have! Don't feel bad about jumping in, you did the right thing. Besides... it's better to overreact than under react if you have the choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read the blog post that Paul commented on. I hate reading stuff like that - so scary! We had the same thing happen when Andrew had his first swim lessons, I didn't jump in, but my primal scream got the teacher's attention (I've never heard myself scream like that!). We've done swim lessons since then, but I now sit right next to the class and I have my eyes peeled on my kids at all times - that one experience scared me straight - it's terrible watching your child in distress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So this made me cry for some reason. I would have done the same thing. They are so precious why chance letting anything happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I am really impressed. Just reading this makes me want to teach my kids to swim. I am not sure if you heard or not, but David is going to be opening up a new elementary school by Cabelas so Alpine Elementary is sad. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cristiana, good for Ben you just didn't drop him off and run errands. Because Ben was not in too long, and because he was not scared, you helped him to not be afraid of the water,because if he was in longer and took in water he would tend to be more frigntened and it would take longer to fix that..... Wet is better than sorry!!

    Now you know how I have felt for you and all your brothers and sister... What i hate the most is the dreams where you kids are somewhere and I can't help you.....I have woke up crying so many times....it seems so real.

    I think that all god Mothers worry and want to be prepared for everything for their kids..to protect them........

    I know I still always want to make sure you are all safe, even after all these years...

    It never goes away, thank heaven for our Great Mothers who give all for us!! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an awful feeling...you did great! Always better to be safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:11 PM

    I would have jumped too. For your boys or my own Isabelle. Its Mom nature .. its what we do. We have been taught from the time we were little to love and respect others and then you become a mom and this thing breaths and eats because of you ... how do you shut that off? You dont! You jump in ... like a super hero mom. :)

    ReplyDelete