In an attempt to start saving money and eating better, I am going to try planning my dinners a week in advance (kudos to everyone who already does this). A good resource so far is a website called this week for dinner. She posts her weekly menu and the recipes for each on the blog. They look like pretty good recipes and not too difficult to make. I made the Lentil soup on Wednesday and it was delicious! It is a bit hearty and very fragrant, so not such a great meal if you or your family are recovering from the stomach flu. We have a very large bowl in our fridge still if anyone is interested! I also plan to make the orange chicken with my own fried rice recipe sometime this weekend if Wade's feeling up to eating it. Another one of my favorite websites for cooking is Allrecipes.com. This is a great resource to just type in a dish and then look through the recipes for one that looks good.I have also signed up to play the Grocery Game. Basically, it gives you a list of all the sale and coupon items at your local stores and helps you save lots of $$ on your groceries. I haven't even started yet, but am hoping to strike it rich one coupon at a time. I'll let ya know how it turns out, but knowing myself, I have a feeling that I will do okay for a while and then quickly lose interest.
We love you and miss you tons. Check out our blog too ... I wanta be linked! I updted - Finally! Miss you tons .. Kiss those boys for us ... the younger 3 .. wde may think it is wierd for me to send kisses to him! he he
ReplyDeleteSo glad you found us! And kudos to you for planning your meals in advance. It's a great feeling to make it to 4pm and ALREADY know what's for dinner!
ReplyDeleteMmmmmmm...that Lentil soup sounds REALLY yummy and EASY! I think I'm going to try it next week. I just need to get some Lentils!
ReplyDeleteHey "about us"- I'd love to link ya, but I don't know who ya are or what your website is! Let me know!
ReplyDeleteclint & emily- I rarely know what's for dinner by 4pm, so I hope this helps!
Kristen- You really should try the lentil soup- it's great (had leftovers for lunch today-mmmm)!
hey "about us"- I think I figured it out- are you Jamie?
ReplyDeleteSuper smart sister of mine!! I have a question about grammar or something like that. So, On my blog I have The Hellyars - does that need and apostrophe? (The Hellyars')?? I am stumped. Oh! and I would like to formally claim the large bowl of lentils. They are all mine, UAHHH!!!
ReplyDeleteThatnks for the allrecipes site. I like that type of planning. Now, i can make something else with my pork besides porkchops on the bbq again. Love you!
ReplyDeleteIt's a great idea. I think having a plan ahead of time really reduces that late afternoon stress that many of us mothers go through. Keep it up :)
ReplyDeleteI did the grocery game for a while and did loose interest, but the first week or 2 I think I saved a ton. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did. I started planning meals a week in advance about a year ago...it helps my marriage since Paul hates me constantly asking "what do you want for dinner tonight" Now I do "once a month cooking" and love knowing that I have a freezer full of meals ready to go!
ReplyDeleteCristi ... About us is Jamie and Terry McLaughlin. If you click on the blue name it takes you to them. Anyway - here is our link:
ReplyDeletewww.calichickgoneidaho.blogspot.com
Thanks Jamie! I got you linked up finally! (for some reason, clicking on the "about us" link didn't work for me and I couldn't figure it out any other way!
ReplyDelete