When Peter can see that something isn't right or that I'm a little upset, he often asks, "Are you happy, mommy?" He almost always asks me "Are you sad?" when I'm changing his poopy diaper. I tell him that I'm sad that he pooped in his diaper and not in the toilet. One of these times he wanted to know how to make me happy. I told him it would make me happy if he pooped in the toilet. Even though he still uses his diaper more than the toilet, he seems truly concerned with my happiness. His toilet using abilities don't determine my happiness. Being blessed with a husband and three sons helps add to my happiness, but mostly, I've decided that happiness is grown in one's own garden, and like Abraham Lincoln said, "People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." I hope that my children will learn that although people and things can affect me, no one and nothing can make me happy or take away my happiness but me.
So, yes, I am!
Isn't it amazing how much control we have over how we feel, if we just make that decision. Reminds me of the song in our hymn book that says," Know this that every man is free to choose his life and how he'll be...."
ReplyDelete