Saturday, May 05, 2012

country music marathon

I ran/walked/jogged my way through 26.2 miles for about 5 hours and 45 minutes.  It wasn't pretty, but I did it.  I knew going in that I had some post-tib tendonitis (partly from old shoes and partly from over working my poor legs!).  I had trained pretty well ensuring that I didn't increase mileage too quickly and getting in a lot of long runs over the months before the race.  If I had it to do over (and I'm not saying I would do it over) I would train even more, specifically doing more cross-training, strength-training, stretching/yoga to improve my overall fitness.  I'd also replace my shoes about a month or month and a half before the race to get some training in with the new ones.  I also wish I had applied sunscreen!  What was I thinking?  The race went well overall, I drank and ate everything they gave me (GU, Gatorade, Water, Salt Packets, orange slices).  I never felt de-hydrated and never felt like I couldn't take another step (other than from pain in my tendon/calf).  I did have to stop many times to stretch my legs (particularly the right posterior tendon).  Even without the tendonitis, I don't think I would have sprinted over the finish line. :)  

My friend Julie and her husband Rich also raced and it was great to get to see them for the weekend.
Wade brought the boys and they all ran with me at about mile 25. 

Peter also ran the kids rock marathon.  He ran 25.2 miles during the Fall and Spring with us and at school (usually a mile at a time with mom or dad).  Then on Friday night, he ran in the race with 7,000 other school-age kids for one mile.  I was so proud to see him take off the finish line and run as fast as his little legs could carry him!  He really did great!
Pete and I after his run at the Kids rock marathon.

3 comments:

  1. Cristi! That is awesome! I love that you inspire running in your kids by running yourself :) I inspire running by yelling lol haha maybe someday ;) Miss you and can't wait for your trek west!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE AMAZING! A mom and a marathoner. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great time. So great to hang out and run the first 11 miles together.

    ReplyDelete