
Tuesday night at around 6:30pm, a can full of rice falls on Jack's third finger of his right hand. I respond to his cries to find a bloody scene, and upon inspection, see that the finger tip is cut through on one side and the nail is removed from the nail bed, "hanging on by a thread." Thoughts of a fingerless child run through my mind as our whole family drives to the ER. Jack cries/screams the whole way there. Upon arrival at the ER (well about 30 minutes after we arrive), doctor's assure that the finger laceration is common and can be repaired. There was also a slight fracture to the bone that does not need repair. "We'll stitch up the finger and re-insert the finger nail," they say, "This will stimulate the new nail to regrow," they assure me. Jack is given Morphine and sleepy drugs for the procedure. I wait anxiously in the waiting room for 40 minutes. Jack the brave arrives home with a nifty and bloody finger bandage around 1:30am.PS- This story was no where near as calm as I made it sound, except for Wade, he was cool as ice (as usual)!
Poor kid! I haven't had any ER trips with our kids yet, but I know it will come soon enough. I hope Jack does well for you tomorrow and he heals quickly!
ReplyDeleteHi Cristi,
ReplyDeleteI really love your blog! Sorry about little Jack's finger, but glad that it's repairable.
Thanks for sharing your special thoughts about Pres. Hinckley earlier and Wade's awesome photography of the Smokey Mountains. Wow!
Take Care & With Love, Lynda
Ouch! And he's smiling already again! He is a brave kid.
ReplyDeleteWow! Never a dull moment in your home! Glad he's ok. What a sweet boy.
ReplyDeleteYou just can win -- you give a kid a helmet, and he injures his hand. Glad he'll be okay.
ReplyDeleteThat is to bad, we also had a trip to the ER last night, Alli is sick and was screaming for over 2 hours, we finally didn't know what to do and took her in. It was crazy. I hope that his hand heals up soon. That helmet will help prevent further injuries...j/k
ReplyDeleteWow, what an adventure. Poor little guy. And I bet you had a nice adrenaline rush too! I'm glad he's not damaged beyond repair.
ReplyDeletePoor Jack. He is such a trooper!! Those pictures just melted my heart. I hope it heals soon. Brooklynn has been very concerned.
ReplyDeleteOh no, the poor little guy! I'm glad you all got though ok
ReplyDelete