I haven't posted for such a long time because I'm having a hard time figuring out what to write. We just moved across the country. We left an amazing neighborhood that we lived in for over 5 years, where our kids were all born and we made many friends. We left family who we love and who have supported us and cared for us. We left everything familiar and all the people we know (not to mention a passing up a great job opportunity in Utah). We drove for 3 days with 3 kids in two cars and arrived in a city with no place to live and no one to help us (except for my Dad who drove out with us and watched the boys while we hunted for apartments- thank you dad!).Needless to say, it's been physically draining and emotionally difficult to adjust to all the changes. It is especially hard to say goodbye to the people who have always been there for us or who we met over the last few years.
There are many in the university village apartments that I will never forget and will be forever grateful to for their dinners, babysitting, kid-watching, friendship and service to us in endless ways! I love the preschool gang, the women who have served me and with me in church callings, the people who just lived by me and helped me the most! It seems so strange to think that I may never again see these amazing people who have done so much for me. I hope you know how grateful I am!It is also hard to leave family that has been my greatest support
over the last few years, especially since the arrival of the boys. They are the people that I know I will see again often, just not as much. I love all of my family and Wade's family and have enjoyed the time we spent together in Salt lake. I'm just going to say that Nancy has been my all time best friend and it has been very hard to say goodbye to her. We've done everything together and she has been an example of all the good things I want to be. Hope to see all of you soon!We arrived here to a not-so-warm welcome (starting with an unpleasant hotel room, a moving company that won't park the truck without approval from the apartment office, an apartment office who won't give approval to park the truck, and a dishonest apartment company who won't refund precious $), although it has warmed up as we've met more people. We did find an
apartment and moved all of our stuff up the three flights of stairs with the help of a lone ward member (so much for my hope that I wouldn't have to move much-seems this is the Vanderbilt ward and we're one of a zillion families needing help moving in) . We are very grateful to him for his help and I'm sure that he and his family will turn out to be good friends. Luckily, the babies were happy and Pete just hung out while we ran back and forth to move things.We met the grumpy people in Nashville very quickly, but I have also met some of the friendlier ones like the Nelson's (he's the one who helped us move in), some nice people in the main office of our apartments (Kathy who let me use the office phone and gave Peter fruit snacks and took him to see the Coi while I tried to figure out the moving fiasco), Professor Chuck Sanders (who Wade is working for) and his wife who stopped by with a homemade apple pie. We've met several kind people in our new ward and apartment complex.
Things seem to be working out and getting better every day. I'm sure by the time Wade is finished here, we'll be sad to leave the new people we meet who become old friends.
I will miss my big sister and listening to Wade talk about something I don't understand. And of course I will miss Peter, Ben, and Jack. Just remember that 'Everybody Poops'!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a big and exciting/scary change. Change is hard, but it is so good for all of us. I had a "special" friend once ask me, "What scares you most in life"...my answer was CHANGE. It is so true. I know you guys will adjust. It's probably hard leaving Utah but you will be so helpful to your new ward and area. Hey, and maybe we can even come and visit...we haven't been to Nashville.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the world outside of "The Village!" I have checked your blog periodically and have enjoyed seeing glimpses of our past life through your thoughts and pictures. What a cute family you have!
ReplyDeleteWe recently passed our one year anniversary of moving to CA after the U. It was so hard to be away at first--I think we had been here about 4 or 5 months when I finally felt we had some friends and felt comfortable with our new town. We are so happy with where we are now! It is so nice to have a ward family to turn to, so I hope you have a great ward with some people to connect with. Another thing that's helped is finding about things in the community to go to, for example Storytime at the library, where you can get to know the regulars, etc.
I am excited for you in your new life! My memories of The Village are so fond and sometimes I wish I could just walk outside and hang out with friends with a playground right there...but, alas, life goes on...
Sorry it was a rough move, to say the least. I think that might be one of the most difficult things to do. We've become so comfortable here in Kansas City, but Chris graduates next year, and we'll have to move. I'm not looking forward to it at all. We'll also have 3 kids, so wish me luck . You are amazing with the twins, and Peter is adorable! I love his soccer pictures. It makes me so excited for Jonah to start playing on a sports team. Take care and hang in there! Mandi Rapp
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that the pieces are starting to fall into place. We will most likely be making a cross-country move in the next couple months, so it is good to hear a real live sugar free report on some of the things we have to look forward to. Keep smiling, and I know things will improve.
ReplyDeleteYeah for Tennessee. Now I have family to visit and stay with there. it has always been a dream of mine to move there. I love the music towns and life. The singers trying to make a big break and the others trying to dodge the cameras .. get some good pictures for us Wade! We are counting on you. Some great places to visit while you live there: Pigeon Forge, Barbara Mandrell Theatre (I have sang there!) and you cannot forget The Hard Rock Cafe in Nashville and the Alabama Brothers Diner in Gatlinberg. Jessa and Erin sang their hearts out there once along to Karaoke and boggied down with some strangers for our entertainment! You will do great things there ... with such worhty spirits you are bound to touch someone and change them forever. We love you. And as soon as we can - we will come visit. Kristin - you in? Love ya tons ... kiss those babies for us all.
ReplyDeleteAnd what a trip it was! Yes, moving is one of most peoples least favorite things to do. It kind of reminds me of when Mary and I got married. That year we planned our wedding and reception, experienced a job change, sold a home, went through the moving experience and had a death in the family( My dad passed away). Five of some of the most difficult experiences that one can go through all happened within a six month period. We figured that if we could survive this, then we could make it through almost anything. It's not the experiences that we go through that define us as individuals, it's how we deal with those experiences that reveals our true character. They present situations for us to act or react depending on what kind of person we have become. And based on your actions, I judge that you and Wade have become people of great character and do continue to bring great pride to your parents, which honors. Glad I could help you come through this experience with a little less stress.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Dad
I hope that things are getting a little better for you. Bert has training in Alabama in February and the kids and I are going to visit him we will have to have a side trip to memphis to see some familiar faces. It takes a while to meet people, I don't think any of our neighbors have said two words to us. I guess I should step up but way out of my comfort zone. I will keep thinking of you. Adreann
ReplyDelete